Teachers Pay Teachers Facebook Blog Lovin' Instagram Pinterest Image Map

Sunday, June 14, 2015

Speech Therapy...It's Not Just A Job!


Being a speech therapist isn't just a job, but it's a part of my every day life!  People always say not to bring work home, but as a speech therapist AND a mom, it's pretty much impossible.  I, personally, have struggled with this concept since my kids were born!  Here's how I bring my work home...
  •  I narrate everything that I do for my daughter and son.  For example, I am doing the dishes...I am washing the plate...etc.  Now, my 3 year old narrates everything that she does, including going to the bathroom!
  • I have brought the Preschool Language Scale home to test my kids...multiple times.
  • All of the toys or gifts that I buy have something to do with developmental needs, such as speech, fine motor or gross motor. 
  • I use conversational turn taking with my 6 month old and actually wonder what he is really trying to say back.
  • Sometimes I find myself telling my husband to, 'Use Your Words' when he is motioning something to me. 
  • I secretly assess all kids that I come in contact with.
  • I find myself using IPA when it is completely unnecessary.
I have realized that maybe bringing my work home as a speech pathologist isn't such a bad thing after all.  In fact, I think that if you love your job, then bringing your work home could actually be a great thing! 

Comment below with examples of how you bring your work home!

No comments:

Post a Comment