Teachers Pay Teachers Facebook Blog Lovin' Instagram Pinterest Image Map

Monday, June 1, 2015

One Special Moment

Clip Art By Creative Clips
It's the end of the year and as the paperwork is stacked in front of me, I think back about what (if anything) I did for my students this year.  Between paperwork, field trips, specials, absences, etc., it is so hard for me to feel like I made a difference.  However, I know that I tried my best and worked as hard as I could to help every student on my caseload.  That was my whole reason for becoming an SLP in the first place, to help kids.  So, I decided to pick a specific moment from this year that exemplified my reason for becoming an SLP.  Here it is:

I see a 3 year old child who is brought to speech by his grandmother every week.  When he began working with me, he had a total of 10 words.  He has made significant progress and his grandma has helped with his success.  During one session, we were playing with blocks. As he handed his grandma one of the blocks, he said, 'Here grandma'.  It was a clear and simple phrase that didn't really mean anything, but to his grandma it had meant the world.  As soon as he said it, his grandma began to cry saying, 'He said grandma!'.  That simple phrase meant so much to her because he had called her 'Grandma'.  This was such a touching moment to me because I knew that I had helped this moment become a reality.
 
That is why I became an SLP.  

Link up and share your one moment from this year that exemplifies why you became an SLP!

No comments:

Post a Comment